Kristian Owens, MSW, LCSW-C, CTP, RPT
Hi, my name is Kristian Owens and I am a clinical social worker with a passion for helping young people live a resilient life!
One of the things that I admire most about young people is their resilience (i.e. their ability to recover from difficulties). I’ve had the privilege to practice in various settings, including private, public, and alternative schools, inpatient facilities, community mental health agencies, and private practice. No matter the setting, I always stumbled upon the theme of resilience in my work with children, adolescents, and families. For me, this demonstrated that individuals possess the strengths to heal and grow from their life experiences.
In my practice, I aim to provide acceptance, genuineness, and warmth in my interactions with clients and their families. During sessions, I often use my extensive training in play therapy, expressive arts, and trauma-focused interventions to help individuals make sense of life’s challenges. As an expert in each of these therapeutic approaches, I’ve repeatedly noticed that once I accept a child for who they are as a person, they naturally process and organize their world through play and art. In order to optimize treatment success, I also value collaboration with caregivers and other professionals involved in a child’s life.
It is truly a privilege to be doing what I am most passionate about, which is helping young people realize their potential and pursue an abundant life. I consider it a valuable gift to be a witness and partner in a young person’s healing process, and I look forward to serving in this capacity with each interaction I have with a client and family.
- Licensed Certified Social Worker-Clinical (LCSW-C), Maryland State Board of Social Work Examiners, 16719
- Licensed Certified Social Work- Clinical Supervisor, Maryland State Board of Social Work Examiners
- Certified Trauma Practitioner (CTP), National Institute for Trauma and Loss in Children
- Certified Registered Play Therapist (RPT), Association for Play Therapy (APT)
- University of Maryland College Park, Bachelor of Art (BA), Psychology and Criminal Justice/Criminology
- University of Michigan Ann Arbor, Master of Social Work (MSW), Mental Health and Interpersonal Practice
- National Association of Social Work (NASW), Member
- Association for Play Therapy (APT), Member
- National Institute for Trauma and Loss in Children, Member
Clinical Specialization and Interest
- Play and Art-based Interventions
- Anger Management
- Life Transitions (i.e. grief/loss, foster care/adoption, etc.)
- Self-harming/Suicide Ideation
- Trauma/Post-Traumatic Stress